MATH 404A     Spring, 2018  

The final exam will take place on Wednesday, June 6th, 8:30-10:20.
Office hours during Finals week: Monday 10:00-12:00,   Tuesday 1:00-3:00
Sample Questions for Math 404,   Solutions

INSTRUCTOR: Ralph Greenberg,   Padelford C-553,


OFFICE HOURS: Mondays 2:00-3:00,   Wednesdays 2:00 - 3:00,   Fridays 3:00-4:00,   Other times by appointment.

TEXT:   Abstract Algebra: Theory and Applications, 2017 edition, by Tom Judson

GRADING: The grade will be based on the homework assignments (which count 20% altogether), the midterm (which counts 30%), and the final (which counts 50%). The midterm will be on Monday, April 30th. The final will be on Wednesday, June 6th, 8:30 - 10:20 AM.

Homework Assignments:     1,     2,     3,     4,     5,     6

Homework Solutions:    1,    2,    3,    4,    5,    6,

Some Practice Questions for the Math 404 Midterm,   Solutions for the Midterm Practice Questions
Midterm Questions and Solutions

Handouts for Math 404

Vector Spaces
The Fundamental Lemma
Reducibility and Irreducibility of Polynomials over a Field
Field Extensions and their Degrees
Isomorphisms, Automorphisms, and Embeddings of Fields
The Primitive Element Theorem
Galois Theory
The discriminant of a polynomial

Handouts from Math 403
Basic Definitions
Two Noncommutative Rings
Important propositions about ring homomorphisms and ideals
Divisibility and Principal Ideal Domains
Reducibility and Irreducibility of Polynomials over a Field