Math 124 - Spring 2021
- A note to the student.
- You must purchase a webassign access code if you are taking CALCULUS for the FIRST TIME at the University of Washington . All homework assignments will be on Webassign. Webassign is $40 per quarter. Here is how you purchase webassign:
- Go to WebAssign Login Page to create a WebAssign account. You have 14-days of FREE ACCESS to WebAssign. You are automatically enrolled in the Math 124 Section you are registered for and you should be able to see your course and assignments when classes start.
- Before the FREE ACCESS ends on April 21th, you need to pay the $40 fee to the University Bookstore by : CLICKING HERE
- If you are planning on taking the FULL CALCULUS series Math 124/5/6 and Math 324 please check the Canvas page for your course for a purchase option that will be less than $160 in total over four quarters.
- Recommended Textbook -- The textbook for the course is
"Calculus, 8th Edition, Early
Transcendentals" by Stewart. An electronic version is included with
your purchase of a WebAssign access code, so a paper copy is not
required. We do recommend that you read the textbook, and a paper copy
will make that easier. An older edition of the paper textbook will
serve just as well, and will cost significantly less. Some used custom
versions of this textbook (volume 1 covers math124 and math125) may be
available at the UW bookstore.
Math 124/5/6 Grade Policy.
The median course grades for each lecture section (or a single instructor’s combined lecture sections) of Math 124/5/6 taught during the regular academic year will fall within the range of 2.9 +/- 0.2. This policy may not apply to the online sections of Math 124/5/6.This policy has been suspended for Fall 2020.
- Please Note: The midterms and the final exam will be administered online this quarter. Exams are open notes and you can use a scientific calculator. You may not use the following resources during exams: getting help from anyone during your exam, using any online tools, websites, or search engines, using any calculators that can do calculus, using any materials other than your notes and your textbook.
Please review UW's policy on Academic Misconduct.
- What if the Calculus
class I wish to add is closed?
Week Worksheets Exam Archive Topics and Textbook Sections 1:
- Tangents to circles
- Sec. 10.1 or supplement reading on parametric equations
- Sec. 2.1 - Tangents and velocity
- Sec. 2.2 - Limits
- Sec. 2.3 - Calculating Limits
- Sec. 2.5 - Continuity
- Sec. 2.6 - Asymptotes
- Sec. 2.7 - Derivatives
- Sec. 2.8 - Derivative function
- Sec. 3.1 - Derivative rules
- Sec. 3.2 - More derivative rules
- Sec. 3.3 - Trig derivatives
- Midterm #1
MIDTERM #1 ARCHIVE
- Midterm Review
- Sec. 3.4 - Chain rule
- Sec. 10.2 - Derivatives and parametrized curves
- Sec. 3.5 - Implicit differentiation
- Sec. 3.6 - Logarithmic differentiation
- Sec. 3.9 - Related rates
- Sec. 3.10 - Linear approximation
- Midterm #2
MIDTERM #2 ARCHIVE
- Midterm Review
- Sec. 4.1 - Basics on min and max values
- Sec. 4.3 - Derivatives and shape of a curve
- Sec. 4.4 - L'Hôpital's rule
- Sec. 4.5 - Curve sketching
10: Final Exams
- Sec. 4.7 - Optimization
- Final Exam Review