Math 124 - Autumn 2021
A note to the student from the math department.
What if the Calculus class I wish to add is closed?
All homework assignments will be on Webassign and you must purchase an access code if you are taking Calculus for the first time at UW. Here is what you do:
1. Go to https://www.webassign.net/washington/login.html to create a WebAssign account using your UW email. You have 14-days of free access to WebAssign. You are automatically enrolled in the Math 124 section you are registered for and you should be able to see your course and assignments when classes start.
2. Decide which option your will purchase:
- If you will be taking the full sequence Math 124/5/6 with possibly Math 224, you can get a Multi-term Access for $96. It will be valid for these four courses you take here at UW.
- If you will only take Math 124 or Math 124/5 it makes more sense to get the single term option for $40 per term for this quarter. Note that you will have to pay separately for Math 125, or if you end up repeating Math 124.
3. Before free access ends on October 12th, purchase the option you have chosen from the webassign (it will keep asking you) or from the bookstore. If you purchase it from the bookstore, follow their instructions.
Students who successfully participated in the boot camp: Please do NOT pay anything, but use the free grace period of 14 days. Within the 14 days we will make sure that full access is granted to you. Also, if you participated successfully and are planning to do the multi-term option: First go with the one-term option for this quarter and then in later quarters, use the 'upgrade' to multi-term. You will then just have to pay for the difference.
The textbook for the course is Calculus, 8th Edition, Early Transcendentals by Stewart. An electronic version is included with your purchase of a WebAssign access code, so a paper copy is not required. We do recommend that you read the textbook, and a paper copy will make that easier. An older edition of the paper textbook will serve just as well, and will cost significantly less. Some used custom versions of this textbook (volume 1 covers math124 and math125) may be available at the UW bookstore.
A TI-30X IIS calculator is required in any of the Math 120/124/125/126 courses. It is the only calculator you can use on the exams. We strongly suggest you use the same calculator when you do your assignments and practice for the exams.
Math 124/5/6 Grade Policy
The median course grades for each lecture section (or a single instructor’s combined lecture sections) of Math 124/5/6 taught during the regular academic year will fall within the range of 2.9 +/- 0.2. This policy may not apply to the online sections of Math 124/5/6.
You are responsible for bringing a printout of the correct worksheet to quiz section every Tuesday. Don't do the worksheet at home, you will complete the worksheet in class. Pdf's of each individual worksheet can be found in the Outline table below. Alternatively, click here for a pdf file with all of the worksheets for the quarter together in one file.
Final Exam is on Saturday, December 11 at 1:30pm. See the Common Finals page for details.
|Week||Worksheets||Exam Archive||Topics and Textbook Sections|
||MIDTERM #1 ARCHIVE||
||MIDTERM #2 ARCHIVE||