Math 124-Spring 2018
- A note to the student.
- What you must purchase:
- A "WebAssign access code". You can purchase a
standalone access code which includes the ebook directly from the
publisher, or at the Bookstore. (It is more expensive at the Bookstore but you will eventually get a 10% rebate.)
Read these WebAssign instructions before buying online.
Use this link to Purchase WebAssign online from the publisher.
- A Ti-30x IIS Calculator -- $14.95 at the bookstore.
- A "WebAssign access code". You can purchase a standalone access code which includes the ebook directly from the publisher, or at the Bookstore. (It is more expensive at the Bookstore but you will eventually get a 10% rebate.)
- Recommended Textbook -- The textbook for the course is
"Calculus, 8th Edition, Early
Transcendentals" by Stewart. An electronic version is included with
your purchase of a WebAssign access code, so a paper copy is not
required. We do recommend that you read the textbook, and a paper copy
will make that easier. An older edition of the paper textbook will
serve just as well, and will cost significantly less. Some used custom
versions of this textbook (volume 1 covers math124 and math125) may be
available at the UW bookstore.
- All homework is accessed and turned in online using
You will automatically be registered in the correct WebAssign section
on the first day of classes. You won't be able to access the homework
until then. You must enter your accesss code within two weeks of that
Read these instructions to learn How to login to WebAssign and purchase an access code
Math 124/5/6 Grade Policy. The median course grades for each lecture section (or a single instructor’s combined lecture sections) of Math 124/5/6 taught during the regular academic year will fall within the range of 2.9 +/- 0.2. This policy may not apply to the online sections of Math 124/5/6.
- What if the Calculus
class I wish to add is closed?
- Worksheets -- You are responsible for bringing a printout
of the correct worksheet to quiz section every Tuesday. Don't do the
worksheet at home, you will complete the worksheet in class. Pdf's of
each individual worksheet can be found in the Outline table
below. Alternatively, click here for
a pdf file with all of the
worksheets for the quarter together in one file.
- Final Exam is Saturday June 2:
Ground Rules and Rooms.
- Some instructors will use assigned seating for the final exam. Consult with your course instructor for more details.
- Petitions for alternatives to the common final are usually granted only for religious reasons, reasons of health, or extraordinary circumstances of grave personal import. Petitions are available in the Student Services Office, C-36 Padelford and should be filed by the end of the sixth week of the quarter. Please provide appropriate written documentation to support your petition. Approval of petitions is not automatic. Plans for sporting events, travel or work on exam day, etc. do not constitute extraordinary circumstances. If you are petitioning, you will also want to notify your instructor.
Week Outline/Study Guide Exam Archive Topics and Textbook Sections 1:
- Tangents to circles
- Sec. 10.1 or supplement reading on parametric equations
- Sec. 2.1-Tangents and velocity
- Sec. 2.2-Limits
- Sec 2.3-Calculating Limits
- Sec. 2.7-Derivatives
- Sec. 2.8-Derivative Function
- Sec. 3.1-Derivative rules
- Sec. 3.2-More derivative rules
- Sec. 3.3-Trig derivatives
- Sec. 3.4-Chain rule
- Midterm #1
April 24 in TA section
MIDTERM #1 ARCHIVE
- Midterm Review
- Midterm #1
- Sec. 3.4-More chain rule
- Sec. 10.2-Derivatives and parametrized curves
April 30- May 4
- Sec. 3.5-Implicit differentiation
- Sec. 3.6-Logarithmic differentiation
- Sec. 3.9-Related rates
- Sec. 3.9-More Related rates
- Sec. 3.10-Linear approximation
- Sec. 4.1-Basics on min and max values
- Midterm #2
May 15 in TA section.
MIDTERM #2 ARCHIVE
- Midterm Review
- Midterm #2
- Sec. 4.1-More on min and max values
- Sec. 4.3-Derivatives and shape of a curve
- Sec. 4.4-L'Hôpital's rule
- Sec. 4.5-Curve sketching
- Sec. 4.7-Optimization
May 28 - June 1
FINAL EXAM ARCHIVE
- Sec. 4.7-More Optimization
- Final Exam Review
- Final Exam