- Our textbook is Algebraic Topology by Allen
Hatcher. This is freely
from Hatcher's web page.
- Here are some suggestions for other books to look at.
- J. R. Munkres, Elements of Algebraic Topology.
Covers homology and cohomology very thoroughly.
- E. H. Spanier, Algebraic Topology. One of
the standard references in the field, but many people find
it hard to read.
- J. P. May, A Concise Course in Algebraic
Topology. The topics and presentation are
interesting, but at a fairly high level.
- G. E. Bredon, Topology and Geometry. Nice
book, has more on manifolds and less on homotopy theory,
compared to Hatcher's book.
- Optional: some problems from Munkres (PDF)
- Optional: Hatcher 4.1: 10, 16, 18, 19
- Optional: Hatcher 4.2: 7, 8, 9, 26, 32, 33. Note that 8 and
9 go together, as do 32 and 33.