Math Study Center Job Information
We are not currently seeking tutors or desk assistants.
The Math Study Center hires Tutors and Desk Assistants.
See below for more information about these jobs. We do most of our hiring
for the year at the end of Spring quarter for the next academic year.
Check this website around the 8th week of Spring quarter if you are interested
in becoming a tutor or desk assistant at the MSC.
The MSC hires qualified undergraduate UW students. We do not hire graduate students.
- Tutor students in Math 120/4/5/6 and possibly Math 307 and 308 in a (sometimes) fast-paced environment.
- Be a currently enrolled undergraduate UW student
- Have a strong understanding of math through Math 126 (Calc III).
Coursework in Math 307 and 308 is a plus.
- Able to understand and verbally respond to students' mathematics questions
- Be interested in working with people
- Be sensitive to student difficulties with math
- Have access to a reliable internet connection and a laptop or desktop computer
- For scheduling, an applicant needs to be available to work during
at least 20 of the MSC open hours (M-Th 9:30 AM-7:30 PM, F 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM, Sunday 12:30-4:30 PM)
- Must be able to work at least 10 hours per week. Tutors work from 10 to 16 hours per week - you
set the upper bound.
- Pay is $17.27/hr
- Fortify and maintain your calculus skills
- Gain teaching experience
- Looks good on resumes and grad school applications
- It feels good to help people!
Job duties include:
- Maintaining information necessary to the running of the Math Study Center
- Answering non-mathematical questions from students, and helping them get the help they need at the MSC
- Cleaning of MSC equipment as needed
- Other minor clerical work
- Be a currently enrolled UW student
- Be reliable and have good people skills
- Be able to answer phones and respond to students' questions
- Preference will be given to applicants with Work Study
- Pay is $17.27/hr
- Low stress and friendly work environment