Montlake Math Challenge
Welcome to the Montlake Math Challenge! The MMC is an after school program for students who love math and want to expand their mathematical knowledge. The program's goal is to introduce students to exciting mathematical ideas that are not part of the standard curriculum. We will emphasize a hands-on learning environment in which students will explore new concepts in small groups.
Meeting Times: The MMC will meet on Thursdays in the school library from 3:20 - 4:20.
Instructors: Steve Klee (UW graduate student) and Amir Talebiliasi (UW undergraduate).
Contact Information: Steve Klee -- klees [at] math [dot] washington [dot] edu
- 2-14-08: We will not meet next week (February 21) because there is no school. We will see everyone on February 28th.
- 2-13-08: Here are copies of the worksheets from last week and the week before about clock math.
- 1-30-08: Don't forget about the Math is Cool contest! If you're interested in participating in the contest, please let us know as soon as possible.
- 1-30-08: Here are copies of the worksheets from last week and the week before about Pascal's Triangle.
- 1-16-08: Please take a look at the information about the Math is Cool contest posted below.
- 1-09-08: Happy New Year everyone! Our first meeting of the new year will be held in the library after school tomorrow. Here is a link to the December Olympiad from the last meeting before break, along with solutions. Everyone did a great job!
- 12-18-07: Last week was our last meeting of the year. Have a great break, and we will see everyone next year!
- 11-7-07: Because of early release, next week's meeting (November 15) will be cancelled.
- 10-25-07: Here is a copy of today's worksheet. Parity .
- 10-18-07: Here is a copy of today's worksheet. Logic Puzzles II .
- 10-18-07: Here is a link to the website where I found the Best in Show logic puzzle last week. It has a lot more puzzles that you can print or solve online. Logic Problems
- 10-15-07: Here is a copy of last week's worksheet on logic puzzles. Logic Puzzles I .
- 9-28-07: Here is a copy of the Montlake Math Olympiad that was given during our first meeting. Everyone did a great job on the test! Answers are given to all the problems, and we will talk about the solutions next week. Montlake Math Olympiad .
- Our first meeting will be September 27, 2007!
Math is Cool
Math is Cool is an annual math contest held in Seattle, Spokane, and Wenatchee for students in grades 4-12. There are separate tests for each grade level, and we are hoping to enter fourth and fifth grade teams to represent the Montlake Math Challenge. More information about the contest can be found at the Math is Cool website .
The contest dates are March 28, 2008 for fourth graders and April 25, 2008 for fifth graders. The UW math deparment will be covering a portion (if not all) of the contest entry fees. We are asking for parent volunteers who can carpool students to and from the contest and serve as chaperones during the contest. The nearest contest site is Highline High School at 225 S. 152nd St.
We will be passing out an information sheet on the Math is Cool contest tomorrow (January 17). If your child is interested in participating in the contest or if you are willing to volunteer your time as a chaperone for one of the contest dates, please return this form to Steve by February 7, 2008 or respond by email.