Math 307 Spring Quarter 2021
- All classes will be online. You will need to watch video lectures and/or participate in online class each week via Zoom. Your instructor will supply details for your section.
You will need a computer with
a webcam, internet access, and a way to produce and upload
handwritten work (your cell phone will suffice for uploading
written work). If you
don't have access to a computer,
try The Student Technology Loan
Program.You can find some documentation for Zoom below:
- Sign in to UW Zoom
- Zoom Docs
- Exams -- Your insructor will provide you with
specifics about quizzes and exams. Most will be adminstered
using Gradescope and Zoom. These will require a computer,
internet access, and a way to upload your work. A smartphone
that can photograph your written work, or a tablet that can
produce a pdf of your writing will suffice. See the
instructions below for what appears to be the simplest
- Gradescope Assignment -- Log in to Gradescope and begin an assignment, quiz or an exam.
- Take an Online Exam using your phone -- login to Gradescope using a browser on your phone to upload a photo of your handwritten work. Its easier to read the questions on your computer, but the least complicated way to upload your answers is by taking photos from within the Gradescope page running in a browser on your phone. If you can read the questions on your phone, you don't even need to login to Gradescope on your computer.
- Some related information on other ways to upload:
Log in to WebAssign here to read and submit
homework. You will not be able to login at any
other URL. If you google WebAssign, you will not find the
correct site for University of Washington. If you think you need a
"class key", you are using the wrong URL. If you are having
trouble logging in or paying for WebAssign, call the help number
800.354.9706. or contact your instructor. Don't go to the math
advising office; they cannot help you with WebAssign.
- You will need to buy access ($22.95) and have two weeks to comply. Its best to wait until you are sure you are in a section that is using WebAssign.You don't need to buy any other Cengage products. In particular, you do NOT need Cengage Unlimited
- The WebAssign payment process can be a bit complicated. See these Detailed Instructions for paying for WebAssign access The instructions were originally written for math 124. Where you see references to the Calculus text, you should look for "Math 307" instead.
- Students outside the US can't pay for WebAssign in the usual way. See the Instructions for Paying from outside the US. Alternatively, try using a VPN, like HuskyOnNet.
- WebAssign Office Hours via Zoom -- WebAssign representatives will help students with difficulties in registering or paying for WebAssign. Dates and times will be posted below:
- Textbook Introduction to Differential Equations by
Boyce, Diprima, and Meade : You can access the etext from your
class Canvas page. Access is free for 10 days, then it will cost
pay the bookstore at this link. You must pay for the book
during the free access period. After that you can no longer
purchase the ebook. You can read the book online or download
and use the VitalSource reader. You can print up to 10 pages at
a time as well. The downloaded version doesn't expire.
If you prefer a paper version, any edition of Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems or Elementary Differential Equations by Boyce and Diprima will do. A custom version is available through the bookstore. Older versions are cheaper. You don't need to buy the solutions manual. The WebAssign homework is different from the homework problems in the textbook, so the solutions manual will not be particularly useful.
- Religious Accommodation Policy: Washington state law requires that UW develop a policy for accommodation of student absences or significant hardship due to reasons of faith or conscience, or for organized religious activities. The UW's policy, including more information about how to request an accommodation, is available at Religious Accommodations Policy. Accommodations must be requested within the first two weeks of the course using the Religious Accommodations Request form.
|Week||Additional Materials||Topics and Textbook Sections|
|MIDTERM #1 ARCHIVE||
|MIDTERM #2 ARCHIVE||
May 31-Jun. 4
|Final Exam Archive||