Algebraic Structures 507A: Lie algebras
Instructor: Julia Pevtsova
Place: Padelford, C-401
Time: 9:30-10:20, MWF
Office Hours: by
appointment (that is, I am happy to talk between classes, just need an advance
Course Description. An introductory course on Lie algebras and their representations. Topics to be covered: Enveloping Algebras and PBW theorem, root systems, classification of simple Lie algebras, representations.
Grading system. Based on homework and presentations.
Textbook. J. Humphreys, Introduction to Lie Algebras and Representation Theory
· Jacques Dixmier, Enveloping algebras
· N. Jacobson, Lie algebras
· N. Jacobson, Exceptional Lie algebras
· J. Humphreys, Reflection groups and Coxeter groups
· A.A. Kirillov, An Introduction to Lie Groups and Lie Algebras
J.P. Serre, Complex semisimple
End of quarter presentation assignments; to be presented the week of Nov. 28 (after Thanksgiving), on the general topic of classification of Coxeter graphs. TBD.