Announcements and class schedule and summaries, Math 309A, Autumn 2016
This page has announcements, and a schedule showing
plans for future classes, including quiz and test dates,
and brief summaries of past classes.
Ideally, you will look over the sections to be covered in class
before coming to class. Then you will have some idea of the basics,
and will be able to focus on, or maybe even ask questions about,
the points which are hardest for you.
Note: The plans for future classes are subject to revision at any time.
The summaries of past classes are not a replacement for
attending class, but rather alert you to what you missed.
After reading the summary and the corresponding sections of the book,
see a classmate or instructor if you have questions.
ANNOUNCEMENTS: [date posted]
- [9/27] Remember computer systems can fail and this course website
could be unavailable for several hours.
Do not wait until the last minute to get homework, quiz, etc., info.
- [10/17] Midterm Date confirmed to be Monday, 10/31.
- [11/7] Note changes in office hours listed below for rest of November.
- W 9/26: Course intro:
see information on all the links on class homepage.
Intro to §§7.1-7.5.
- F 9/30: §§7.2-3.
- M 10/3: HW 1 due.
Substitute instructor: Professor Matt McGonagle,
the instructor for 309 sections B & E.
Worksheet on eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
Answers to worksheet problems. (Actually you could check most of your
answers yourself by checking if Ax = λx.)
- W 10/5: §7.4.
- F 10/7: HW 2 due, start §7.5.
QUIZ 1 at the end of class. Information on quiz content at the
- M 10/10: §7.5.
- W 10/12: Professor Matt McGonagle subbing again,
- F 10/7: HW 3 due. If you were absent, read
Some comments on terminology and notation.
Continue with §7.6.
- M 10/17: §7.8.
- W 10/19: §§7.7-8.
- F 10/21: HW 4 due. Start §7.9.
QUIZ 2 at the end of class on §§7.4-7.6. More
- M 10/24: Continue with §7.9.
- W 10/26: Continue with §7.9.
- F 10/28: HW 5 due,
§9.1 as summary and review of §§7.5-8.
- Monday, October 31: Midterm.
- W 11/2:
Worksheet on §10.1.
Corrected Worksheet comments and answers.
(Corrected second boundary condition in 2 and 3, which were
switched in original version. Also added some additional comments
made in lecture on 11/4.)
- F 11/4: §§10.1 & 10.5 (up through (18) on p. 627).
- M 11/7: Continue with §10.5 (up through (18) on p. 627).
- W 11/9: §§10.2 & first 2 pages of 10.4. Do HW 6
soon, if you haven't already, even though it won't be graded.
- Th 11/10: Office hours 2-3:15 only.
- F 11/11: Holiday! No classes.
- M 11/14: Continue with §§10.2 & 10.4.
No office hours after class today.
- Tu 11/15: Office hours 2-4.
- W 11/16: HW 7 due; §10.4, sine and cosine series;
introduction to §10.3.
- Th 11/17: Usual office hours 2-4.
- F 11/18: §10.3.
QUIZ 3 at end of hour: see info at workspace.
- M 11/21: §§10.5-6.
- Tu 11/22: Office hours 2-4.
- W 11/16: HW 8 due, continue §10.6.
- Th-F 11/24-25: Holidays! No classes or office hours.
- M 11/28: §10.7.
- W 11/30: §§10.7-8.
- F 12/2: HW 9 due. Continue with §10.8.
- M 12/5: More chapter 10 examples.
- W 12/7: More chapter 10 examples.
- F 12/9: HW 10 due but not collected. Discussion of
questions on homework and final exam preparation.
Last day for
course evaluations. I will get a list of the students who
fill out a course evaluation, and each person on the list will
get two points of extra credit.
- Final Exam: Wed. Dec. 14, 2:30-4:20. This date and time are assigned
by the university and cannot be changed.
Homework information and assignments.
Return to the
Math 309A Homepage.
Most recently updated on November 30, 2016.